Thursday, July 26, 2012

The storm

I can feel the weight bearing down on me,
Breaking my back
Slowly, painfully, surely
How do I know when
is it time for me to put it down?

I'm duty-bound
by words,
by deeds,
by promises
All of which have not come to pass
I am ashamed
for it was made of hope
and in great passion,
not in haste & ignorance

So I push on
into the storm
my body ravaged by the wet & cold
as the raindrops beat mercilessly on my body
My fingers are numb
my legs sore
my mind disillusioned
"I must go on!"

And then, I look back
and see
wolves preying
lurking,
waiting in the dark
some in sheep's clothing
to pounce on my possessions
like cattle to the slaughter
They care not
who you are
as long as appetites are whetted

At the crossroads
I look forward
and know the risks
But I look back
and know I risk even more

No comments:

Post a Comment