Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Greatest Asset...

As I sit at my desk counting down the days until my departure, I can't help but feel a tad reluctant to leave. Unfortunately, things have already been set in motion and February 26th is the day.

I have enjoyed both a fantastic & enriching experience with the people around me. They say the greatest asset in any company is its' people - I couldn't agree more. It has made me realize the importance of treasuring the people who work with you everyday and these people I have come to know have been absolutely top-class. Donnie, Anwar, Mimi, Alex, Elaine, Wendy, Simon, Lynn & Jayne - I salute you & I am indebted to your friendship & camaraderie. There are many more who have touched my life but it is these few that "courageously" had to put up with me day in & day out :-)

I am not bitter about the events that have transpired over the past month. I choose to see things as clearly & as optimistic as I can. But I shall take with me the lessons learnt from an awkward situation where good judgment & basic common sense were missing.


I believe that great leaders are not made.. they are molded. And there is a thin line in simply being a good leader & a great one. Good one's are competent with their product knowledge, great one's are competent with relationships - No prizes for guessing which of the two will inspire better growth. 

In a world that has become so commercialized, where the client is also now the product, it is essential that we are led by leaders who care - And not only for their own pockets, benefit or status! Great leaders inspire.. they represent pillars of strength.. an avenue of hope. Good soldiers do not necessarily make fantastic generals. Likewise a top employee doesn't necessarily make a first class manager. But strong leadership can be forged..  as long as the person is keen & has an open mind, who is not afraid to make mistakes, who learns from it, and who puts the interest of other above his own.

2 comments:

  1. Leaders are mold. This is absolutely right. But, the question stays on whether they are being mold the right way. And, whether are they alert of what mold is place on them. Will they be blind enough to be led by a blind?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is simply astonishing how things developed for the last month til now. At first, there was the great revenue lost due to some 'prudent' financial planning & 'spending'. Well someone got to take the shot, so a name was mentioned in the e-mail. What was even surprising, two names were suspected that wrote the e-mail, and from the same department, best of all without any proof???

    Well Adrian, I too learnt from an awkward situation where good judgment & basic common sense were missing. Or I like to simply put it, this 'people' are simply plain stupid and its not worth the time and effort we put in day in and day out with the final credit again going to them.

    I've enjoyed my time here with you and I'm very sure God has planned something great for you. Just be yourself wherever you're going next and I'm sure you'll be the next best thing person there.

    I believe that great leaders are not made or molded..they are BORN as a leader. The Charisma, Leadership, Respect, Vision, Attainable Goals, and most importantly Followers they can easily command is not an easy threat to be learned or gained easily. Which of these precious threats are currently being practiced here?

    A simple yet precious gift that is Love is missing here among 'them'. Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty. The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are; you end up being complete with your loved ones.

    As for you, you have plenty of these value. Thank you for fighting beside me and most importantly, being my friend..! I salute you Adrian Lok..!

    ReplyDelete